Children’s lives might be in danger on account of some hairdressing salons don’t seem to be following tips on hair dye merchandise, BBC Wales has came upon.
No dye merchandise will have to be used on under-16s, in line with producers and the trade’s skilled frame.
But a 12-year-old who went undercover for BBC Wales’ X-Ray was once as soon as introduced colouring appointments at 16 salons.
Hair dyes include chemicals that during bizarre circumstances might simply reason why important, even life-threatening, allergies.
Hair dye producers say they aren’t meant for anyone below the age of 16. The European Commission insists that this warning will have to be placed on all hair dye packaging.
The Hairdressing Federation, the career’s personal frame, is going additional.
It tells its people that hair color merchandise will have to certainly not be carried out to anyone below the age of 16.
But when X-ray’s undercover schoolgirl examined out the guidance – only one out of 17 salons acted on it, and prompt her she was once as soon as too younger.
Sammi Ford is aware of very best too neatly the dangers of colouring your hair. In March, she had a big allergy to her house dye equipment.
“Within half an hour my head was itching,” she prompt X-ray.
“About an hour later I had a burning, itching feeling at the sides and then things got progressively worse. My eyes were so swollen I couldn’t actually open them”.
Her face was once coated in sores which took weeks to heal.
But the response will have been have shyed away from if she had undertaken a really helpful pores and pores and pores and skin patch take a look at.
It comes to hanging a tiny quantity of the dye product on a space of exposed pores and pores and pores and skin and leaving it for 48 hours prior to continuing.
Any soreness or redness would recommend an allergy is most likely, and the use of the dye will have to be have shyed away from.
Manufacturers state patch take a look at should be performed, that is for house dye kits and the ones utilized by pros in hair salons.
The hairdressers personal federation is going additional saying that “allergy testing is a must for every salon”.
Donna Wallbank, who owns a salon in Brynmawr, in Blaenau Gwent mentioned she has witnessed a rising number of her personal shoppers having reactions to the outside take a look at.
“We’re used to normally seeing perhaps one reaction a year,” she mentioned.
“But since May we’ve seen three. It’s quite scary to think, had that service been carried out without them having the skin test, what could’ve happened.”
Shirley Davis is an trade professional and the Hair Council’s marketing consultant for Wales. She mentioned she was once as soon as horrified by the use of the result of the name of the game filming.
“I am absolutely appalled, they should’ve all said I’m sorry you’re not 16, we can’t do it and sent her away,” she prompt X-Ray.
“Everyone all over the trade is making an attempt to professionalise it and we’ve got salons which could be if truth be told taking into account colouring a teenager’s hair.
“If they did one thing with this younger lady and he or she had an anaphylactic surprise she would most likely merely die – that is how important it’s.
“You have to patch test over-16 and under 16 it’s a no-no.”
X-ray is on BBC One Wales on Monday, 30 October at 19:30 GMT, repeated on Tuesday on BBC Two Wales at 17:30, another way you’ll be able to catch-up with the programme at the BBC iPlayer.